1. Upon which version of MedDRA are the Certified MedDRA Coder examination questions based?
The CMC examination questions are updated twice a year to correspond with MedDRA implementation dates. These dates occur in early May for MedDRA version xx.0 and early November for MedDRA version xx.1. Precise dates are posted on the MedDRA MSSO Web site.
2. Once I pass the CMC examination, will I have credentials?
Yes. A MedDRA coder will become certified and eligible to use "CMC" after their name.
3. What if someone (e.g., a prospective employer) would like to verify my certification status? What should I do?
Send an email to the CMC Help Desk (CMChelp@ngc.com) with the name and email address of the person you wish to receive verification of your CMC examination status along with your certificate number. The CMC Help Desk will only send verification to individuals that the test taker identifies, and we will only include the status (i.e., Pass or Fail) and not the specific score of the examination.
4. Is the CMC certificate required by regulatory authorities or a recommended Best Practice by the MedDRA Management Board?
The CMC is one of the fee-based services of the MSSO contractor. The ICH MedDRA Management Board recognizes the importance of continuous MedDRA training as a best practice and the value of a coding certification. However it is not within its scope to offer such a certification and it is not a regulatory requirement.
5. What is a passing score for the CMC examination?
A score of 70% is required to pass the exam. All questions require a response.
6. What is the format of the CMC examination?
There are 50 short verbatim questions which require you to select a single LLT as the correct answer. There are also three narrative vignettes that require you to select at least one or, typically, multiple LLTs for each vignette. Note that the examination is not a multiple choice format. You will have to select the appropriate LLTs from a MedDRA browser. Please be sure you have access to a browser before you take the examination. No browser is presented to you in the examination itself.
7. When is the CMC examination given?
The CMC exam is online and can be taken at any time.
8. If I fail the exam, can I re-take it at a reduced fee?
Yes. You will have up to 90 days to re-take the examination at the reduced fee of $200 USD.
9. How long is the Certified MedDRA Coder (CMC) certification valid?
The Certified MedDRA Coder (CMC) certification is valid for two years. To renew the certification, you will need to take the examination at the end of the two year period. Please retain your logon information as you will need it to access the examination. Contact the CMC Help Desk if you need to retrieve this information.
10. How should I prepare to take the examination?
As the Certified MedDRA Coder examination is a rigorous test of your coding ability and knowledge, it is highly recommended that you fully prepare for the CMC examination, even if you are a "seasoned" MedDRA coder. You may:
1) attend the one hour Certified MedDRA Coder Examination Preparation webinar (several sessions are available);
2) form a study group with your colleagues; and/or
3) study the MedDRA Term Selection: Points to Consider document.
4) take the free CMC PRACTICE Examination. To take this examination, please register first. Next, select "Click here to take a test." Then select the CMC Practice Examination.
11. Does the CMC examination require that the LLTs selected for the "narrative vignette" questions be in the same order as the events, indications, etc. are listed in the question?
No. The LLT answers for the "narrative vignette" questions need only be complete, but the order they are listed in your answer is not important. However, please be sure to include the "@" symbol between each LLT, as described in the question instructions.
12. Are LLT answers to the CMC examination case sensitive?
No. The LLT answers in the CMC examination are not case sensitive.